So, here is the next set of my new pretties – Urban Decay Black Market (set of six 24/7 Glide On Eye Pencils) , to be precise. This set of six three-quarter sized pencils is fairly similar to last year’s Smoked eyeliner set (see my review of that here), and contains darker colours that still have quite a pop to them. This set retails for £26, but there are various deals around the web – since a full-size pencil is £14, a 3/4 pencil would be £10.50 – so this set has a value of £63. These sets are amazing value for money.
Included in the Black Market set, then, are six shades, five of which are new and exclusive. The only repeat shade is Desperation, the grey, which I don’t own anything like anyway, so I’m happy!
- West – “dark brown pearl”. Rich chocolate-y brown, without too much shimmer. Perfect for daytime.
- Desperation – “deep taupe-grey matte”. Mushroom-y, purple-y grey with a lot of depth.
- Black Market – “charcoal black satin”. Not as black as Zero, this leans ever so slightly green.
- Riot – “smoky gray matte with violet and fuchsia micro-sparkle”. Stunning royal purple with bright purple glitter.
- Apathy – “metallic olive green shimmer”. Exactly what it says on the tin.
- Ink – “deep navy blue satin”. Slightly shimmery creamy navy blue.
I also love the neat, stylish packaging – the pencils slot into a sleek rounded square, which in this case is finished with a metallic monochrome ombré. I think I like it even better than the Smoked packaging!
The formula of these eyeliners is perfect, as I’ve stated many times before. They are creamy on application, very pigmented, very smudgeable, and then they set and do not budge, even from your waterline. Urban Decay really has nailed eyeliner. You can see how creamy the pencils are in this blurry close-up:
But enough of that – I’m sure you want to see swatches!
Riot, Ink, Apathy, Desperation, West, and Black Market. I obviously can’t keep things in the same order for the length of a photoshoot…
As you can see, these are all pretty opaque after one go. Black Market has a slightly weaker payoff than the others, but then I think its major selling point is that it’s not as black as Perversion, so a sheerer, buildable black is actually no bad thing. I particularly love the glitter of Riot and the richness of Ink. I can see myself doing a very basic look with just a slick of Ink on the lashline.
Urban Decay’s 24/7 Glide On Eye Pencils are truly the Holy Grail of eyeliners, and this Black Market set is great value for money, with a great range of wearable colours. Why haven’t you bought it yet?!